Tuesday, May 4, 2010

A Boy & His Dog

The title of this flick sounds rather fitting in lieu of the newest addition to our family
a Blue Nose/American Pitbull mix....
It's been some time since I watched it but it resonates pretty stiff in my psyche.
(drumroll please):

A Boy and His Dog
(1975)

I've always been a fan of post-apocalyptic movies, specifically road warrior flicks such as the Mad Max series and recently The Road, so after becoming amped for the arrival of Book of Eli (which I've still yet to view)
I became hungry for more.
Researching thru multiple forums on counter-culture exploitation flicks one movie kept coming up above all.
So this became a must view.

When I found out it starred a young Don Johnson (pre Miami Vice) I got the ball rolling.

Based on a short novel by Harlan Ellison the concept is very original, scratch that: mind blowing!
A young Don Johnson travels a post apocalyptic wasteland with his only companion being a dog which speaks to him telepathically.


The dog (dubbed: Blood in the movie) was the true life Brady Bunch dog Tiger
the dog was originally supposed to be voiced by James Cagney but they figured it'd be a distraction.

Blood helps a nomadic Johnson sniff out women to rape (say what?)
a rare find as every other dude in the movie is forcefully raping & savagely beating them to death afterwards so they won't be touched by other guys.
(luckily for you ladies out there, the rape scenes are short lived & shot from a distance)
The Dog gives Johnson the advantage and also serves as a guardian angel of sorts narrating much of the film.
I spent alot of time hoping our star wouldn't actually do the heinous deed, but you will have to find out for yourself as I dont want to spoil anything.
Donny-boy is far from innocent in this flick (much to my surprise upon viewing)
and somewhat reminded me of a Luke Skywalker type.
It seems he tried to be a brute of sorts but still had a bit of heart left in em'
which leads him to a woman who tries to lure him into an underground portal in which all the men have become sterile so he is needed to impregnate their women to extend the future of their colony....
the movie seemed to take a bit of a nose dive for me at this point.
But dont let that stop you as this movie has a ton to offer.
The sharp wit from the dog alone is worth the price of admission.
I spent alot of time after this flick ended thinking to myself what would become of our society after the push of the big red button,
wondering: would women be safe & would men have to protect them at all costs on a constant basis?
So if you are interested in anything after the bomb, anything with a lil thought
(or in this case alot)
find it & cherish it....
4/5

and to add:
an animated feature is set to become of this flick in the near future
(which I'm psyched about)

No comments: