Sunday, May 9, 2010

The Flaming Lips - The Dark Side of the Moon

I'm a fan of covers (when done correctly)
so when I came across this release I had to keep my mind open & give it a listen.
It holds one of the longest artist names I've ever encountered:
The Flaming Lips, Stardeath & White Dwarfs with Henry Rollins & Peaches
I never got too intimate with the Flaming Lips but respect their music, "Turn it On" rings in my head at the moment....
Henry Rollins (& his iconic status) I've always admired,
having been a fan of the song "Liar" I've always appreciated his persona but struggled to find much more from him I've liked.
Pink Floyd has always been tops for me in terms of classic rock,
I believe they paved the way for other bands in terms of experimentation with sound,
at times too experimental in my opinion,
mostly in their earlier years leading up to Obscured by Clouds
but you have to scold your hands in the fire a couple times before you realize that the shit burns, and they obviously figured out what works early in the game.
It goes without saying that The Dark Side of the Moon is not only one of the greatest Classic Rock albums of all time, but possibly one of thee greatest albums of all time.
So these indie rock bands whom have had a considerable amount of popularity in the 80's & 90's
must have had a great deal of pressure on their backs when covering the album.
Or alot of fun considering they have done the whole album in its entirety live at many performances including in the future for 2010's Bonnaroo festival.
So I say that to say this:

I loved this cover, it's a heavy riffed modern take on a classic masterpiece.
The instrumentals were melodic enough to close your eyes and fall into
and each song was done precisely as it were,
nothing was mutated.
The only downfalls I experienced on the album were the intro's to Breathe & its reprisal ("Time", & "Speak to Me")
they sounded like random clutters of mismatched sound & were somewhat unpleasant to follow.
I believe a younger Floyd may have respected such clashes of instruments but todays crowd (such as myself) may not.
Aside from these short intro's the album is a great homage to the pioneers
and can be appreciated front to back.
It'll receive many plays in my personal jukebox.
3.5/5

No comments: