Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Apple account hack raises concern about cloud storage

"In the space of one hour, my entire digital life was destroyed. First my Google account was taken over, then deleted. Next my Twitter account was compromised, and used as a platform to broadcast racist and homophobic messages. And worst of all, my AppleID account was broken into, and my hackers used it to remotely erase all of the data on my iPhone, iPad, and MacBook."

"I really worry about everything going to the cloud, 
I think it's going to be horrendous. 
I think there are going to be a lot of horrible problems in the next 5 years."

"Password-based security mechanisms — 
which can be cracked, reset and socially engineered — 
no longer suffice in the era of cloud computing."
- Mat Honan

(commentary)
Tell me the above quote isn't surreptitiously implying the next gen proposal of internet ID?
I'm totally opposed to the cloud. A year back a brand new computer I purchased online had failed same day of arrival. The deal was superior and I hate returning stuff, so I assessed the problem and took a trip to Best Buy figuring I'd purchase the same unit and swap the parts (tisk tisk). Not only did I come to realize that the computer I had purchased was 3 months advanced to the in-stock items, but also as I understood it there was only one tower unit in the building, and it was a sub-par PC. The rest were all these slim computers which were basically a mac monitor with the computer inside the screen. Being hands-on with my machine, and having self taught my self how to fix computers, these computers defied all I required. There just so happened to be a representative from Verizon there (unsure why really). I ask him why all the PCs seem to be cloud units with no hard drive space. He then proceeds to question what my intent was with the system as if he was prying for classified information. Long story short, this cloud shit has got to go, it serves one purpose, and it has nothing to do with your convenience, but rather it's easier access to your individual files to be monitored, regulated, and restricted if they so deem it necessary.

More Info/Prior Posts:

No comments: