Wednesday, June 8, 2011

pseudo-currency: items you can trade like cash if the bubble bursts

And I think it's a good idea to keep at least $500 on hand in your home, in $5 and $10 denominations.  
If the stores are open, but their credit card machines are not working, you'll still be fine.

But what happens if things really fall apart?  It's easy to imagine a time when cash will no longer be king.

After looking over what I use regularly, what I have put away for a rainy day, 
& what I think others will also want and need, I've identified the following items as potential pseudo-currency:
- strike anywhere matches
- ammo cartridges
- candles
- calcium hypochlorite
- seeds
- 2 cycle motor oil
- rechargeable batteries
- nails 
- thread, & needles
- cable ties
- candy bars & cigarettes

No comments: